Do you secretly think you're a better leader than your boss, or your peers? Are you more inspiring than them? Admit it – most of us think we are.
We believe “they” aspire to be inspiring but have been worn down by the system they operate in and pressure from their own leaders. But it’s often easier to see the fault in others than in ourselves. Are we like “they”, who we can see clearly, are not leading as well as they might?.
"But what do our teams and our peers think of us? Take a behavioural selfie without filters and honestly assess what your team would say about you."
But what do our teams and our peers think of us? If only we had a camera that could take a selfie of our behaviours. It’s hard knowing how we are perceived. There are only a small % of people who tell us what they really think, and for leaders that % becomes vanishingly small.
Take a behavioural selfie without filters and honestly assess what your team would say about you. Which group of behaviours is more accurately you?
1 Organising Manager
- Under pressure from senior management
- Looks upward for direction
- Focused on delivery of short term demands
- Focused on numbers
- Obsessed with costs and budgets
- Cajoling and imploring more effort
- Delegates actions
- Focused on how people do their work
- Focused on doing things right
- Never happy with the team
- Micro managing
- Always busy and under pressure
2 Inspirational Leader
- Admired by senior management
- Looks outward for direction
- Focused on vision and long term opportunities
- Focused on customers
- Obsessed with growth
- Inspires discretionary effort with hope filled vision
- Delegates responsibility
- Focused on why, what and who needs to do the work
- Focused on doing the right thing
- Has my back - makes me feel confident
- Gives me autonomy but is there when needed
- Seems calm and in control
"You know which group you would want your own leader to be. Your team are no different. They want to be led by an Inspiring Leader."
Of course, you will feel that you are sometimes one and sometimes the other. And always a mix of both. However, which group of behaviours do you aspire to? Do you live up to your own expectations often enough?
You know which group you would want your own leader to be. Your team are no different. They want to be led by an Inspiring Leader. When we default into Organising Manager we sell ourselves and our teams short. Healthy Leading is like Healthy Living – we know what we should be doing – doing it every day is the challenge.
We all need to work hard to be a better leader. Taking a behavioural selfie on a regular basis is a good way to start.